The full application will consist of a written narrative and financial documents. We want your proposal to be brief—we’ll contact you if we need more information. Cover letters are not necessary, and proposals of excessive length will not be processed (see guidelines below). Please include your full contact information: name, mailing address, direct phone, and email in the body of your submission.
Requirements for the Written Narrative
- No more than three pages of text. Font size #11 minimum.
- The first paragraph of your proposal should contain the amount of your grant request and a simple statement of what the grant is for. If you seek funding for operational expenses, seed money, or other non-project purposes please say so, and explain the need and how the money will be used.
- Organization and/or project summary (what you intend to do and how you'll do it).
- Organizations you have worked you are working with or will be working with.
- Expected outcomes for the grant year.
- Evaluation plan to determine success of expected outcomes.
- Current Foundation support with amounts (if any).
- Other Foundations from which you will be seeking support with requested amounts (if any).
- Contact information including email address.
Required Financial Information
- An organization budget (balanced) with columns for the last fiscal year’s projected budget and actuals and a column for the current year’s projected budget.
- A project budget with columns for the last fiscal year’s projected budget and actuals and a column for the current year’s projected budget (if applicable).
- The most recent Statement of Financial Activity (Statement of Revenue and Expense) and Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet). We are interested in seeing your cash reserves, if any.
- A copy of the most recent Form 990 or audited statements if available.
- A copy of your IRS determination letter. (Returning grantees do not need to resend.)
- Avoid technical jargon and "foundation speak."
- Feel free to dumb it down for us.
- Be clear; be simple.
- Avoid sentences like: "We will implement a visioning process that leverages existing and new relationships, creating a synergy of grassroots advocacy and civic engagement that will provide new opportunities for this underserved, but vital community."
- If you are a returning grantee, you should submit an End of Year Report along with your proposal. See the End of Year Report page for guidelines.
Typical grant amounts range from $5,000 to $25,000, with a total of $1,500,000 to $2,000,000 distributed during the fiscal year. If you're new to Firedoll, please do not request or expect to receive the maximum grant amount; tailor your request in the middle to low end of our grant range, depending on your need.
Where to send
Electronic submissions may be sent to LOI@firedoll.org
If you prefer to send by post, please mail to:
1460 Maria Lane, Suite 400
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Don't be intimidated by our guidelines. After reading them, you will have a sense of who we are and what we care about. If you have a project in need of funding that doesn't fit our areas of interest exactly, please don't hesitate to contact us. Please direct all queries, grant requests and proposals to our Program Officers.